Friday, July 30, 2010

Do you think teenagers should be able to vote?

I've met some highly intelligent teenagers and believe they are very socially conscious. I think the voting age should be lowered to age 16. What do you think, and why?Do you think teenagers should be able to vote?
No we already have too many people voting for the best looking people!Do you think teenagers should be able to vote?
I THINK YOU SHOULD BE ON PROZAC.....OUT OF 100 16 YEARS OLDS MAYBE 2 WOULD HAVE A WORKING BRAIN.
For the most part.... no... Just look at this forum...
No voting should be restricted to citizens that own property and can read and write and are not on welfare or other gov't assistance. otherwise the voters could vote to increase their own gov't benefits.
most teenagers are not there yet mentally apt.
No the voting age shouldn't be changed. I admit there are a few 16 year old teens that are very smart. However, on the average some of them can't be trusted to chew bubble gum and walk at the same time. So they shouldn't be allowed to vote until they are legally responsible for them selves.
I don't think it would be as big of a deal as the government would make it out to be.....teenagers are and will be just as lazy as adults when it comes to voting....if you lowered the age, that would just be a larger amount of people to ingore their right to vote......and a few would vote.....so I don't think it would be a bad idea





I also don't think it will ever happen
I honestly can see both view points in that. But it it comes down to the major thing of mentallity. Ok rember when you were 16 all you probaly cared about was getting a car and know how to drive it with your friends and how popular you are. I think if you allowed 16 yr old to vote you would get into a big problem because then you would see polticians taking and getting more younger cultural icons involed to persuade the vote of the teenagers. Because look in schools today for class presidents and student council it a popularity contest and that what i think that it would become. It would nothing on the issues that we need to look when we elect officals
I honestly don't think they should. I've heard some of these youngsters on here saying how they hate Bush, one was only 13 which tells me that no one is telling them that they have to realize they may not like every President that gets in in their life time and that they will get thru it and move on until the next one. Some of these kids were actually stressed out when Bush was re elected telling me they aren't mature enough to handle the disappointments. Most of these kids I'm sure were picking up on their parents reactions. Like my 15 yr old grandson was a Democrat but when he found out his mother was Republican he no longer hated Bush and became Republican. And why would you want to expose them to all this dirty champaining, they need to learn the right way!
No way. A few of them are intelligent %26amp; socially aware, but none of them have the experience needed to make long-term choices that effect all of us. Personally I though it should have never been lowered from 21 to 18.
I disagree. While there are many intelligent teenagers, most are only concerned with their immediate environment and not the larger scale of things. If someone is not allowed to legally drive, have sex, or consume alcohol until they're over 18, they shouldn't be allowed to vote either.
Yes.Yes.


they should..considering i am one!


%26gt;=[


lol


but yea...they should...it would be awesome


cuz everyone knows teenagers know whats best


=P


lol
no, remember that's the age they got behind the driving wheel, where would they take us then
I personally think that the voting age should be the same as the drinking age (same goes for the military age). This is because The 16-year-olds you are talking about are very few and far between. Teenagers are not mentally or emotionally mature yet. There are some 16-year-old girls who have not started their periods yet? Do you want pubescent teens making decisions for you???
Absolutely NOT! I do agree that many 16 year olds are very intelligent and also have a good social conscience. But most don't. I was politically involved from the time I was 14. But I was in a small minority in my peer group. There are many adults who probably shouldn't be allowed to vote or do much else for that matter but we can't discriminate because of stupidity.
While I do not believe that ';most'; teenagers have the mental knowledge of politics and such, I do not believe there should ever be a restriction on voting regardless of age.
no, while some are mature enough to decide an informed, intelligent vote, more are not---would be worse than what we have as adults...
I hear you. My friends and I are so politically conscious. We're always debating things like social reform, health care, and illegal immigration. We don't talk about the latest teen hearthrob, the Teen Vogue fashion, or the latest episode of Laguna Beach. No, instead, we're debating political issue at our lunch table, taking sides, arguing our cases.


I would've loved to vote last week. But instead, I was explaining all the propositions to my mother so that she could.


Most people hate voting. But I'm just counting the days until my 18 birthday. I'll finally be able to in the next Presidential election.
Yeah that's a good idea. Around that age kids seem to be more into politics too. And forming their own opinions about it. I was more into politics when I was 16 than I am now actually.
That's a terrific question!





There are some teenagers who are more than mature and involved enough ... and there are some who are not.





... But then again, the same could be said of all voters, regardless of age.





But here's the thing ... there are a lot of things happening today that will affect them 10, 15, 20 years from now.





My favorite example is the deficit. When our current government runs up a deficit, this means that we are borrowing money and going into debt to pay for current expenses (like the war in Iraq). When there is a ';tax cut'; during a deficit, we are borrowing money to pay for it. Who deals with the debt from this generation? The *next* generation ... with their taxes.





In other words, a ';tax cut'; today is a ';tax increase'; passed on to the next generation.





16-year-olds should have some say in that.


.
No. 18 is just fine. Although I think it would really make no difference as the 18-25 age group is the least likely to vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment