Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What is your attitude towards unplanned pregnancy in teenagers? Why?

I want to know what society thinks. I personally think it is due to peer pressure that youth do such unintended things.What is your attitude towards unplanned pregnancy in teenagers? Why?
I think it is just a fact of life in today's society. Our society has embraced a more open acceptance of sexuality, which is not such a bad thing except there has been no push to encourage wise and mature decision-making to go with it. The result has been a generation of youth being bombarded with sex and no guidance on the potential consequences of it. While most teens are very well aware of the possibility of pregnancy, they tend to have the classic ';it won't happen to me'; attitude. Also, the consequences of getting pregnant are almost nil. The father can get off scott-free with no real social stigma attached as used to be the case, and the mother has all of the benefits of an accepting (lest I call it enabling) society that provides free food, free daycare, free school, and free money, with all sorts of emotional support and acceptance for the mother. While I agree that we shouldn't take it out on the baby, this open acceptance of unwise behavior only encourages it by making it approved by proxy. This is very similar to providing birth control to teens at school.





So, with a social acceptance, and frankly encouragement of promiscuous sexual behavior, no clear guidelines against teens being sexually active, and no real consequences if they get caught or kids get pregnant, then teens don't have any real pressing reason to be careful.





This idea of ';sex education'; is a joke. I'm pretty sure that all teens are very well aware that inserting a penis into a vagina and continuing until orgasm can cause pregnancy. It is a natural instinct and the world has managed to reproduce just fine without schools teaching this. Kids are also very well aware of what a condom is for, and if you can't follow the directions with accompanying drawings on how to put it on, having a teacher stand in front of the room rolling it onto a cucumber won't help clarify it. Teaching this stuff, particularly in the manner it is taught now, only makes the topic and the behavior more socially acceptable and more likely to happen. The more it happens, the more likely it is that we will have unplanned pregnancy. I was a sexually active teen, but I was very careful because I knew my family would kill me, my girlfriend's family would maim my deceased corpse, and the community would not be at all happy.What is your attitude towards unplanned pregnancy in teenagers? Why?
It's astonishing how so many teenagers still are in the dark about sex facts. The view of late has been of teenagers as being so well up on sex that they could tell you more than you could tell them, but it simply isn't true.


Exchanging bodily fluids isn't rocket science, but it's the facts of pregnancy and STI transmission where teenagers seem to be under the sway of a lot of myths.





I recall reading in a WHO report that many teenage pregnancies occur as a result of sex under the influence of alcohol, which is a growing problem.
Honestly, my opinion WAS that they are irresponsible, uneducated and often times, poor. They made bad decisions, and most likely didn't graduate from high school.





Then I became a pregnant teenager.





My opinion has changed significantly. Because I graduated from high school, I make good decisions (now), I'm not poor, I'm educated and responsible.





You may think I'm lying, but look:


- I graduated early from high school (age 17) %26amp; shortly later found out I was pregnant.


- it motivated me to speed up school, and before the baby came, I graduated with my 2 year college degree (associates) at age 18.


- I worked the entire time I went to college.


- my son came 2 weeks after I graduated, luckily he came late and not eary.. because I was taking 6 classes!!


- I live with the dad still, and we've been together for 4 years now.


- I now have my 4 year degree (bachelors), and my son will be 3 years old soon.





Now I think that it totally depends on the age of teen when she has the baby, because I was lucky that my pregnancy wasn't when I was as young as 14 or 15.





I think it depends on how well your parents %26amp; boyfriend decide to stick by you. I know that if my mom wasn't as supportive, or my boyfriend left, it would be a LOT bumpier road! So there is a lot of factors about it. And, my boyfriend is 5 years older then me so he was able be in the workforce, so we had (%26amp; still have) the dual-income.





Also, I had already graduated high school. Many teenagers haven't done this yet which can lead to even more difficult times... without the basic building block of education, that can cause someone to depend on the welfare system %26amp; state assistance.





When I was a teenager, I felt like pregnancy only happened to the really slinky girls that had multiple partners, went to parties to drink- smoke- and get laid.. but my stereotype was wrong! I've never been to a party, never drank, never smoked, didn't sleep around... got good grades, was even considered a ';goody-goody'; at my school.





It was very unintended %26amp; I'd agree with you a bit, sex is highly glamorized %26amp; there is a lot of peer pressure when it comes to who is still a virgin and who isn't... I'm just glad I was able to keep my crap together %26amp; continue on with my education. I love my little boy and wouldn't change it for the world!





a teen pregnancy can happen to anyone!
Big Trouble


Especially if its my own daughter or of a near friend or relative.


Peer Pressure is a hoax. The sooner all you teenagers understand this the better.


Call it ';impulse';, Call it ';thrill';, Call it ';discovery'; Call it ';rebellion'; - but don't call it ';peer pressure'; because the final decision is always your own - and you know it.
Sex= good.


not teaching sex=bad


We should stop teaching kids it's bad, otherwise they'll do it more. We should just teach that it should be safe, etc. That way we cut back on epidemics and pregnancy. The worlds going to be over populated way too soon, and the only way to prevent that is with family planning.





Also, just to clear something up, I am a teenager (15) and most teenagers are pretty aware of sex and drugs and all of that stuff. I personally have known about sex since the 4th grade, so I don't think the problem is that kids don't know, it's that adults act like sex is taboo.
im 15 years old.i became pregnant at the age of 14. i think the reason we did it was because we were attracted to each other, we were very curious, and we were very sure of ourselves. we never thought i was going to get pregnant. we were both very confident, so confident we stopped using condoms. before i had gotten pregnant i never thought clearly. the moment i found out i was pregnant i realized i was going to be a mother, and the baby i was holding was not going to depend on anyone but me.


i realized i wasn't going to have a future without my education. my boyfriend of 17 dropped out and started working. i started studying, and working like crazy until i got to the point of earning straight A's. i was the perfect AP student. i was proud of myself, as a mom .


then on april the 4th of this year, i had my baby. almost 4 months too early. he was with me only 25 days, then went up to heaven.


Maybe society thinks teenage mothers are a bad thing, or are just careless, or easy. But i know i would have been a damn good mother, and i worked damn hard for my son all the time he was inside me. and it makes me feel proud to say i brought a life to this world.


now that i look back i think that maybe it was just meant to be. maybe some of us are meant to be mothers at an early age. maybe some of us have to live through these responsiblities because God chooses us to.
I think it sucks. Sure some teenagers are gonna get pregnant and probably have great, happy lives but too many are impregnated by a man who doesn't plan to take care of the family and the girls need to realize there is a difference between sex and love.
theres no such thing as unplanned pregancy


but i think part of it is pressure and part of it is because of them


you can always be pressured into trying things


but its always up to to make the final descion
I think that we should focus more on providing education on birth control as opposed to abstinence only education. If teenagers are going to be sexually active then we should attempt to make sure they are doing it safely.

No comments:

Post a Comment